12.06.2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies -- Day 9: Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies





Today I got to see President Obama speak.  It was an incredible experience!  I'm not necessarily an Obama fan.  I'm currently quite indifferent regarding the President's actions while in office.  I'm not a democrat.  Or a republican.  I'm independent.  But, how many opportunities do you have to see the President of the United States of America speak?  Me, not so many.  So I jumped on this one.


He spoke in a high school gym about an hour or so away.  We drove down on Sunday and stood in line for about an hour to get tickets.  It was cold.  We were one of the last ones to get tickets.  Then today, we got there about 3 and half hours before he spoke.  We stood in line waiting to get in for about 3 hours.  Cold doesn't even begin to describe the weather today.  It was frigid.  I think the high today was 29 degrees and we were standing outside in the morning, so surely it was colder than that.  I have never shivered so much in my entire life!  But, in the end, it was soooooo worth it.  We got floor seats about 10 rows back from the President.  I imagine I'll never have another opportunity to have a similar experience in my life.  I'm grateful that I have had this experience.  We took a bunch of pictures . . . maybe I'll get them posted on here one day. 


So, what does this have to do with Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies you ask?  Nothing.  It also has nothing to do with 12 Days of Christmas Cookies.  It was just too awesome to not share. :-)


On to the cookies.  These cookies strike me as very adult, sophisticated cookies.  I eat like a child, so these didn't really strike my fancy.  It's not that they were bad. . . they were very good.  Just not my favorite.  If I had to choose between one of these and a Grinch Cookie, I'd pick the Grinch Cookie every last time.  I bet President Obama likes very adult, sophisticated cookies.  He'd probably like these. 


I will say, however, that these were the most moist cookies I think I've ever made.  They're probably the most moist cookies I've ever eaten as well.


Adapted from: The Kitchn


Here's what you need:
  • 1 cup Flour
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
    1 cup (one 8-ounce package) Cream Cheese, softened
    1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
    1 cup Sugar
    2 teaspoons finely grated Lemon Zest
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    1 large Egg
  
Here's what you do:

1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.  In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3.  In another bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. 
4.  Gradually add sugar to the cream cheese mixture and mix until light and fluffy. 
5. Add zest, vanilla, and egg. Beat to combine. 
6. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. 
7.  If batter seems loose or warm, chill in the refrigerator until firm.
8.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet. 
9.  Bake for about 12 minutes. 
10.  Remove to wire cooling rack upon removing cookies from oven. 

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment