12.05.2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 8 -- Gluten Free Sugar Cookies





When I sent out my call for Christmas cookies, a friend of mine requested a gluten free cookie recipe.  I've never eaten anything gluten free.  I was skeptical.  But, I decided to try my best to find a delicious gluten free recipe.  That was quite the challenge.  I found few recipes that looked appetizing, and the ones I did find looked pretty complicated or impractical.  This recipe is one that looked simple and easy.  And, everybody like sugar cookies, so it should appeal to the masses, right? 


I was very surprised by how tasty these cookies came out.  The recipe uses a cake mix, but these taste just like the real deal sugar cookie.  And, it's super simple.  How awesome is that!?!  I will admit that the texture of these cookies is different than the "normal" sugar cookie, but it didn't inhibit my enjoyment of the cookie, which says a lot because I have serious food texture issues.  The texture is more crumbly than the "normal" sugar cookie (or any cookie that I've encountered, really).  But it really didn't affect my enjoyment of the cookies. 


Source: Betty Crocker


Here's what you need:
1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Egg
Colored Sugar


Here's what you do:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
2.  Stir all ingredients together, except colored sugar. 
3.  Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and roll the balls through the colored sugar to coat. 
4.  Bake for about 9 minutes.
5.  Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack upon removal from oven.


Hint:  You can make your own colored sugar if you don't want to buy it.  Just put some white sugar in a bowl and add a few drops of food coloring.  Stir well.  Continuing adding food coloring and stirring until the sugar reaches the desired shade. 


Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment