12.02.2011

12 Days of Christmas Cookies -- Day 5: Oatmeal Cookies



This summer I found this recipe for Oatmeal Cream Pies.  I gave them a try and they were so good they disappeared before I had a chance to take pictures of them.  But, I'll make them again in the future and promise I'll get them posted.  Anyhow, I wanted to make an oatmeal cookie for the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies, but (can anyone guess what's coming??) I don't like oatmeal cookies, in general.  I find them to be hard and dry, usually.  But, these Oatmeal Cream Pies were soft and moist.  And delicious.  So, I decided to use the "pie" part of the Oatmeal Cream Pies as my oatmeal cookies.  They stay soft for days.  And, I swear, because they've got molasses in them, they get softer as time goes on.  


Source: Running Around Normal


Here's what you need: 

6 tbsp Butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tbsp Molasses
1 egg
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 cup Quick Cook Oats
1 tsp Baking Soda
1.5 tbsp boiling Water

Here's what you do:
1. Put a pot of water on the stove to boil.
2.  Cream together the butter and sugar. 
3.  Add the egg and the molasses until combined. 
4.  In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. 
5.  Gradually pour the and stir the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
6.  Add the oats and the cinnamon and combine. 
7.  Add the baking soda to the water and stir until baking soda is dissolved. 
8.  Stir the baking soda mixture into the batter. 
9.  Wrap the dough in parchment paper and place in a baggie.  Refrigerate for about an hour or freeze for about 15 minutes. 
10.  While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 
11.  After the dough has chilled, drop spoonfuls of dough on the baking sheet. 
12.  Bake for about 8 minutes. 
13.  Remove cookies to cooling rack upon removing the cookie sheet form the oven. 
Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment