8.31.2011

Lemon Bundt Cake with Citrus Glaze




I happen to think that certain flavors belong to certain seasons.  For example, I think cinnamon belongs to Autumn.  And I think that lemon belongs to Summer.  Although I'm really starting to crave my Cinnamon Coffee Cake, Mother Nature says its still Lemon season.  And, who am I to argue with her? 

I found this recipe in a cookbook that I picked up at the Missouri State Fair.  It is the 2008 Official Cookbook of 2006-2007 Award Winning Recipes.  I found this recipe on page 127 (it's called Luscious Lemon Orange Bundt Cake in the cookbook).  It turned out great -- the lemon cake was very subtle, so it wasn't overpowering at all.  And the glaze was sweet, but definitely didn't make it too sweet.  I did modify the recipe slightly from what is printed in the cookbook.

Here's what I used:
1 Cup Butter, softened
1/4 Cup Shortening
2 Cups Sugar
5 Eggs
3 Cups Flour
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Tsp. Lemon Extract
1Orange Rind, grated
1 Lemon Rind, grated
2 Tbsp. Fresh Orange Juice
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Cup Powdered Sugar

Here's what I did:

1.  Preheated the Oven to 325 degrees. 

2.  Greased and floured a bundt pan.

3.  Mixed together the butter, shortening, and sugar until creamy.

4.  Added the eggs to the butter mixture, 1 at a time, making sure each egg was completely integrated into the mixture before adding another.

5.  In a separate bowl, combined the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.

6.  Alternately added the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the wet ingredients (Step 4), completely integrating the dry ingredients or buttermilk before adding more. 

7.  Stirred in the vanilla and lemon extracts.

8.  Poured into bundt pan and baked for about 50 minutes.  Remove the cake from the oven when a stick inserted comes out clean.

9.  Put the cake (still in the pan) onto a cooling rack.

10.  While the cake was cooling, I combined the grated orange rind, grated lemon rind, fresh orange juice, fresh lemon juice, and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl.  Set aside.

11.  After the cake had cooled for 15 minutes, removed from pan.

12.  Punched holes in the top and sides of the cake.

13.  Drizzled the glaze over the cake while it was still warm.



Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment