7.22.2011

Blueberry Lemon Muffins



I LOVE blueberry muffins.  I'm always looking for a good recipe for one.  Right now, my favorite is a boxed blueberry streusel muffin mix.  They are ahmazing!  I'm on a personal quest to find something to top the silly boxed recipe.  So I gave these a shot. 


These were really good.  They're in a different category than my blueberry streusel muffins, so I don't even have to decide if they beat the old trusty or not.  Convenient, huh?  The lemon flavor is light, but strong enough to be detected and made these a great refreshing muffin for the summertime.

Adapted from: The Girl Who Ate Everything

Here's what I used for the muffins:
2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1Lemon
1 Egg
1 Cup Milk

1/2 Cup Butter, softened (You could you shortening)
1 Cup Blueberries


Here's what I did to make the muffins:
1.  A couple of hours before I wanted to make these muffins, I put 1 cup of fresh blueberries into a baggie, added a couple of teaspoons of sugar, and stuck the baggie in the freezer.

2.  When I was ready to make the muffins, I preheated the oven to 375 degrees and lined a muffin pan with muffin liners.

3.  Mixed together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and the zest from the lemon.

4.  Mixed the eggs, milk, and butter together.

5.  Took the baggie containing the blueberries out of the freezer.  Dumped the contents of the baggie into the bowl and gently folded the blueberries into the dough.

6.  I poured the muffin dough into the muffin tins, filling each tin about 2/3 full.

7.  Baked for about 20 minutes.  Remove them from the oven when they are a golden color and a stick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.

While the muffins were making, I prepared the topping for the muffins. 

Here's what I used for the topping:
1/4 Cup Butter, melted
1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1/2 Cup Sugar


Here's what I did to top the muffins:
1.  Combined the lemon juice and butter in one small bowl.

2.  Poured the sugar into another small bowl.

3.  While the muffins were still warm, but cool enough to handle without burning myself, I dipped each muffin into the butter and then into the sugar.  I then set each muffin on a cooling rack to finish cooling.

This recipe made 12 muffins for me.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment