1.26.2012

Cinnamon Roll Cake





I had another Christmas gathering this past week.  Yes, I realize we are well into January.  And, yes, I did say a Christmas gathering.  What can I say?  I'm a lucky lady with lots of people to share holidays with. . . which can result in awkwardly timed holiday celebrations.  


Anyhoo, I was in charge of bringing a dessert.  But, I was in the middle of my $4 a Day Challenge, so my options were limited.  I headed over to my Pinterest account and browsed through my Recipe Board for a recipe that I had the ingredients for in my cabinets.  This was the winner. 


I followed the recipe exactly and it came out fabulously!  There were some leftovers from the party, so I heated those up for breakfast once or twice.  Why?  Why not?  


Cake for breakfast?  Yes, please.  


And, it really did taste just like a cinnamon roll, so it was practically breakfast anyway. 


Source:  Chef in Training


Here's what you need for the cake:
3 cups Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Sugar
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 cups Milk
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Butter, melted


Here's what you need for the cake topping:
1 cup Butter, softened
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Flour
1 tbsp Cinnamon


Here's what you do to make the cake:
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with nonstick spray.  Set aside. 


2.  Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. 


3.  Slowly stir in the melted butter. 


4.  Pour into the baking dish.  


5.  Set aside. 


6.  Mix together the softened butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon for the topping.  Mix until well combined and creamy.


7.  Drop evenly over the cake batter in the pan by tablespoonfuls.  


8.  Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon topping into the cake batter. 


9.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 


10.  While the cake is baking make the glaze as directed below. 


11.  After removing the cake from the oven, let it cool slightly.  Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake. 




Here's what you need for the glaze:
2 cups Powdered Sugar
5 tbsp Milk

1 tsp Vanilla

Here's what you do to make the glaze:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl with a whisk. 

Although this taste great cold, I preferred it served warm. 

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment