6.12.2011

Biscuit Pizzas



I used to make these little pizzas with my mom and my sister when I was growing up.  I totally forgot about them until a couple of months ago when I was trying to come up with some ideas for heavy appetizers to serve at one of my book clubs.  These just randomly popped into my head.  So I made them, and I was reminded of how simple and delicious they are.  They can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish.  I’ve eaten them as both in the last couple of months.  As is the case with any pizza, you can modify the toppings to fit your tastes.  And, they’re a great food to let the kiddos help make -- I remember how excited I’d get when my mom would let me help with these. 

Here’s what I used:


1 Can of Biscuits
1 Partial Jar of Pizza Sauce
1 Partial Package of Pepperoni Slices
1 Cup of finely shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup of finely shredded Italian Cheese Mix
1 Small Can of Black Olives, sliced
1 Small Can of Mushrooms, sliced

Here’s what I did:

I preheated my oven according to the directions on the can of biscuits.

At my local Wal-Mart, I couldn’t find a single can of regular biscuits.  If I wanted regular ole’ biscuits, I had to buy a four pack.  What am I going to do with four cans of biscuits?  I don’t know either.  So, instead, I bought 1 can of Jumbo Flakey Buttermilk Biscuits.  That whole rant was to tell you that if you buy the jumbo flakey biscuits, you should divide each biscuit in half-ish horizontally before you get started. 

After dividing my biscuits in half horizontally, I laid each half biscuit on a cookie sheet (if you have a regular can of biscuits, use the full biscuit, don’t half it).  I put down parchment paper because I’ve learned that parchment paper makes my life easier. 

Then you need to find some apparatus in your kitchen to push down the center of each biscuit, creating a wall to hold the pizza sauce in.  I used the bottom of a plastic measuring cup.  When I was little we used the bottom of child sized Tupperware drinking cups.  I dipped the bottom of the measuring cup in flour (to keep the cup from sticking to the biscuit) and then gently pressed down on each biscuit to create an indention with walls to hold the sauce in. 


Then, I spooned a little bit of pizza sauce into each biscuit.  I’d say I used about 1 to 2 Tablespoons of sauce per biscuit.


Finally, I added the toppings.   

 
  
Some of the pizzas I made had just pepperoni and cheese.  Others had black olives and mushrooms as well.  Just use your imagination – the possibilities are endless! 

After I had all the toppings on the pizzas, I threw the pan in the oven and let them bake for about 8-10 minutes. 

     HINT:  Keep an eye on your pizzas and be sure to remove them when the biscuits
                get a golden brown color and your cheese is melted. 

Here are what mine looked like fresh out of the oven:


Let them cool a couple of minutes before you eat them.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Callie I love you!


~Mendoza~

Bobbie Parrett said...

I made these for the kiddos at my daycare. Very easy and everybody got to make their own personal pizza! They are just the right size for the kids appetite! No one had a problem cleaning their plates for lunch that day.

Post a Comment